Diary of Highway Monk-2


Ramesh Kumar

Distances, thanks to Graham Bell, have shrunk. Rather evaporated. Anyone and everyone  is just a call away. Be it to share good or bad news.

Recently, one such call from Zaheer Khan brought some bad news. Zaheer, a long haul truck driver, called up from Yavatmal in Maharashtra. His truck loaded with Mahindra tractors upcountry delivery was halted by the traffic police demanding some money. The penalty for some unspecified violation, he was told, Rs.200/- while the cop had walked away with his driving license.


Why did Zaheer call me? Am not his  motor malik. Few months ago, the same Zaheer was halted in Chittorgarh, Rajasthan by the roving RTO and he was guided by his office to reach me. Why me? Because I had travelled with the chairman of his company on this stretch over 2-3 days interacting with RTOs and DTOs sensitizing the highway challenges long haul truck drivers face particularly in Rajasthan.

In that trip, obviously we met several officials  whose intervention can come in handy to sort out genuine hassles. It is no secret that highway authorities fleece truck drivers under some pretext or  another. I had intervened by seeking DTO of that district and relieved Zaheer from being fleeced.

Naturally, this time again, Zaheer took the liberty of seeking my help. He admitted that he had not contacted his office but  thought  it wise to reach me. Nonetheless, I told him to intimate his  office. Few minutes he came back saying his  inability to reach his own office. Subsequently I did.

Meanwhile, tapping my contacts in Maharashtra, I got to the local drivers group who  intervened and sorted out the issue amicably. Even before his bosses could act upon, Zaheer was on his way ... Not every time, am successful. But  mostly. Makes one feel happy that the hapless driver has been saved from harassment. Such "help me.am in crisis" calls are routine. Attitude is "don't give up. Try".

**
Another call was an interesting one. A lady truck driver - Sellammal from Salem in Tamilnadu, in the course of our maiden interaction over phone shared her dream to own a 10 tire truck.  "Help me," was the message. Having come out of supping with Yogita Raghuvanshi, another long haul truck driver from Indore at the Mahindra Transport Excellence Award 2018 function in Delhi just a day before, Sellammal's desire is not unfulfillable.


Women empowerment! Just a week ago, when I posted the same Sellammal being felicited in Ahmednagar on the Driver Seva Trust, one of the calls came from a CEO friend of a 3PL company in Mumbai. His request:"Help me get a female truck driver". Why? His MNC client wants to  be seen utiliing women truck drivers!  Of course, I could  not help this aspiring MNC that day! Maybe in the near future.

Meanwhile, sounded a few truck manufacturing company friends and got a positive positive response. Keeping my fingers crossed, hoping Sellammal dream will come true soon.

Comments

Popular Posts